Sunday 25 March 2012

Cancer and Sugar

The facts about sugar and cancer can be confusing. They are often presented in a way that is misleading and anxiety producing for those with cancer. 


I have heard “sugar feeds cancer” which is simply not true. Sugar feeds every cell in the body. Our bodies need glucose for energy. Even if you cut every bit of sugar out of your body it will still make sugar from other sources like protein and fat.

If you eat a lot of sugar your body will produce a lot of insulin. Insulin is a natural substance that helps cell growth and this includes any possible cancer cells. Cells grow, divide and die and are replaced as part of a natural process of living.

Hence you don’t have to eliminate sugar from your diet but you can control amount of insulin produced by eating protein, fat and fiber together with sugar . This will help the body produce less insulin as it slows down the process of producing insulin

The following tips to help you find a healthy balance with your food choices

  1. Stick to naturally occurring sugars found in fruit and vegetables.
  2. Substitute white sugar for brown sugar or muscovado sugar
  3. Avoid concentrated sources of sugar in fruit juices and sodas
  4. Substitute milk chocolates with dark chocolate containing at least 80% cocoa.
  5. Limit your treats such as desserts with modest serving size
  6. Try to focus on whole, healthy and unprocessed foods
Most important point is sugar itself is not bad. Too much sugar, without enough fat, protein and fiber to balance it out, can cause our bodies to make too much insulin

Personal Experience

I have a sweet tooth. Of all the food and lifestyle changes I had to make after being diagnosed with breast cancer, this is the hardest for me. I try to substitute organic dark chocolate where I can but I still have some milk chocolate now and again. I have cut down desserts but I do have cake for tea sometimes (without the icing). I am not into fruit juices and sodas so that part is easy for me. I am more careful now and I am still not back to normal exercise routine which helps to burn calories. Soon I hope!


No comments:

Post a Comment